For everything, there is always the first time, even to give a pill to a cat. In principle, it may seem like a feat, since we are not going to convince it with loving words. It’s much easier to do that with a pill shooter for cats. Also, it can resist with claws and teeth. But do not be discouraged … with the tricks and tips of this post, we will leave unharmed and airy.
A possible challenge to reach
If you have a cat, on one occasion or another, the veterinarian will prescribe some medication, such as antibiotics or antiparasitic tablets, tablets, or tablets.
When you want to supply the pills, you face a feline skill that will use all the means available and for having to escape, either by rejecting them frontally or spitting them out. Ok, your cat is brilliant, but he doesn’t know that you can show off your intelligence and get the pill taken, with the least collateral damage and with hardly any stress.
To this end, nothing better than the following strategies that give excellent results …
Apart from following the veterinarian’s instructions, it is essential to carefully read the recommendations of the leaflet about the dose, procedure, frequency, and duration of treatment.
Keep in mind that some pills are slow-release, so you should not crush them, but administer them whole. Also remember that some tablets should be taken alone to be more active, without hiding them between foods.
How to achieve immobilization?
That a cat is still, when he senses that you are plotting something that does not make him funny, is a complicated task, although not impossible. You will need a towel, a table, or base on which to work comfortably and if it can be, at least the first few times, the help of a human ally to help you in this unique “battle.” You will see that, when you take the trick, everything will be sewing and singing.
Steps to follow to give the cat the pill
These steps contemplate the assumption of being right-handed; in case of being left-handed, naturally, the opposite hand to the one described will be used.
- 1. Cover it with a towel
- Find a flat and comfortable surface for your height, like a table, where you can maneuver with your kitten.
- Place the towel, well extended.
- Put your cat on the towel and wrap it.
- The cat must be covered entirely, except its head so that we will avoid possible scratches.
- Now it only remains that you open the snout and introduce the pill; We detail it to you in the next step.
- 2. Open the muzzle
- Once you have your cat covered with the towel, take your head gently, but firmly, and tilt it slightly upwards.
- You already have your cat in the ideal position to open its snout and give it the pill.
- At this time, hold the head of the cat with your left hand to free the right, which is what you should give the pill with.
- Put your left hand on the cat’s forehead so that you form an inverted “U” with your index and thumb fingers.
- Now, place the tips of your index and thumb fingers on the upper lip, and insert the thumb a little to force the kitty to open the mouth.
- For the sake of your fingers, make sure that they never rest on the cat’s teeth, but on the soft areas of his mouth.
- 3. Insert the pill or tablet in your mouth
- The critical moment arrives, that of the introduction of the medicine into your cat’s mouth and the determination that you have demonstrated throughout the process will be fundamental.
- Pinch the pill with the tips of your thumb and middle fingers.
- Put your index finger on the left end of the feline’s chin, next to the two lower canines.
- Press down a little so that your cat opens its mouth.
- Right at this moment, act quickly, and insert the tablet with your middle finger, gently push everything you can towards the back of the tongue, to prevent its expulsion.
- Do a light massage in the neck and caress it, so that it calms down.
- Check that the tablet has been swallowed.
- Given the uncertainty that the cat has swallowed the pill or not, a trick is to blow lightly on its nostrils; With this tactic, a mechanical movement will be stimulated that will propel him to swallow.
- After taking the pill, your cat should drink or eat something to ensure that the medicine reaches the stomach.
- If you do not dare to give your cat the pill with your fingers, you can try to do it using a special syringe.
Oh, and do not forget to reward your hairy with caresses or some hickey after giving him the pill; This way, you will associate the experience with a pleasant moment. You see that with a little skill, patience, and tact, everything is achieved, to the point of turning the initial fear into a habit tolerated willingly by your cat.